Skip to main content
About Microbiology

UW Microbiology

Career Opportunities

Because of the importance of microorganisms to humans and science, microbiologists are needed in a variety of private concerns and governmental agencies. Microbiology students who would like to further their education may wish to apply for advanced degree work in a professional school or in graduate school.

The Center for Career Services, Room 134, Mary Gates Hall, offers workshops on resume writing, writing cover letters, interviewing techniques, and job search strategies. It is also wise to contact individual companies of interest in advance of your graduation. Fee-for-service private employment placement companies are an additional resource.

The Career Center offers specially curated pages and interest groups in Life Sciences and Health.


The major industrial and research concerns employing microbiologists in the Seattle area are biotechnology companies, food processing industries (including dairies and fish processors), private biological and chemical laboratories, and hospitals. Nationally, microbiologists are employed by pharmaceutical and drug companies, breweries, cheese manufacturers, canneries, and medical laboratories.

The State of Washington employs microbiologists in the Washington State Department of Health and the Department of Ecology.

Current Open Staff Positions:

Current Open Postdoctoral positions:

Current Open Student Hourly and Work Study positions:

  • Work Study: Laboratory Student Assistant (Guo Lab - SLU). Email your resume to Megan Littlehale (lab manager) at In your email, please provide a response to the following questions: 1. How many hours/week would you ideally like to work? 2. What do you hope to gain from this experience? (4 sentences max).

Graduate and Professional Programs

There are many graduate programs and schools offering advanced training programs in microbiology, immunology, biochemistry, genetics, and/or molecular biology that are attractive to many students. Students should write directly to the schools or departments of interest for information and application deadlines and consult their advisor and other faculty for additional information about graduate school. The Peterson's Guide to Graduate Programs can be helpful. Please see their website at the following address:

Students may continue their education by pursuing a health professional career (medicine, dentistry, public health and community medicine, or veterinary medicine). Most programs require an entrance exam (MCAT, DAT, PCAT). Students should contact the schools directly to obtain the most recent admission information and course requirements.