The lack of new antibiotics is among the most critical challenges facing medicine. Researchers have been on the hunt for new drugs to combat "superbugs" that cannot be penetrated by current antibiotics.
NEW YORK – May 30, 2018 – The Blavatnik National Awards for Young Scientists today announced the 31 U.S. National Finalists who will compete for the world’s largest unrestricted prizes for early career scientists. Each year, three Blavatnik National Laureates in the categories of Life Sciences, Chemistry, and Physical Sciences & Engineering are awarded $250,000 each.
Jesse Bloom is fascinated by evolution.
Think how amazing it is, he says, that in nature, small, random genetic changes can add up to something new and wonderful – a stark contrast to the world of things. “If you make random mutations to your car with a baseball bat, you’re probably not going to improve the car very much,” he says. “So what is it about biology that allows living things to be so good at evolving?”
Host: Dr Ajai Dandekar
Host: Dr Ferric Fang
Host: Dr Ferric Fang
- Influenza Virus-Liposome Fusion Studies Using Fluorescence Dequenching and Cryo-electron Tomography.
Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.) - , 2018
Gui L, Lee KK
- CdrA Interactions within the Pseudomonas aeruginosa Biofilm Matrix Safeguard It from Proteolysis and Promote Cellular Packing.
mBio - Sep, 2018
Reichhardt C, Wong C, Passos da Silva D, Wozniak DJ, Parsek MR
- A Phosphatidylinositol 3-Kinase Effector Alters Phagosomal Maturation to Promote Intracellular Growth of Francisella.
Cell host & microbe - Aug, 2018
Ledvina HE, Kelly KA, Eshraghi A, Plemel RL, Peterson SB, Lee B, Steele S, Adler M, Kawula TH, Merz AJ, Skerrett SJ, Celli J, Mougous JD
- Single-Molecule Analysis of a Viral Fusion Protein Illuminates a Fusion-Active Intermediate State.
Cell - Aug, 2018
Benhaim M, Lee KK
- ISDB: A database toolkit for storing and analyzing viral integration site data.
Bioinformatics (Oxford, England) - Aug, 2018
Sibley TR, Silberman EJ, Mullins JI