Microbiology Professor Evgeni Sokurenko's Seattle biotech startup, ID Genomics, is developing a solution to that conundrum: a system that tests the biological “fingerprint” of a bacteria and connects it to a huge database to determine what bacteria it is, and what the best treatment is. Click here to read the full article.
UW Micro has done well on yet another international ranking of Microbiology programs, with the Center for World University Rankings listing our department as the third best in the world behind Harvard and John Hopkins. See the list here.
Professor Carrie Harwood and colleagues have engineered a bacterium that can take carbon dioxide from the air and turn it into fuel in a single enzymatic step. The process draws on sunlight to produce methane and hydrogen inside the bacterium Rhodopseudomonas palustris, in essence reversing combustion. These engineered bacteria could guide scientists toward better carbon-neutral biofuels. Read more about the research here.
No upcoming events at this time
- Vaginal microbiota and genitourinary menopausal symptoms: a cross-sectional analysis.
Menopause (New York, N.Y.) - Jun, 2017
Mitchell CM, Srinivasan S, Zhan X, Wu MC, Reed SD, Guthrie KA, LaCroix AZ, Fiedler T, Munch M, Liu C, Hoffman NG, Blair IA, Newton K, Freeman EW, Joffe H, Cohen L, Fredricks DN
- Alpha-defensin-dependent enhancement of enteric viral infection.
PLoS pathogens - Jun, 2017
Wilson SS, Bromme BA, Holly MK, Wiens ME, Gounder AP, Sul Y, Smith JG
- Excision of Latent HIV-1 from Infected Cells In Vivo: An Important Step Forward.
Molecular therapy : the journal of the American Society of Gene Therapy - May, 2017
De Silva Feelixge HS, Jerome KR
- Evaluating the accuracy of amplicon-based microbiome computational pipelines on simulated human gut microbial communities.
BMC bioinformatics - May, 2017
Golob JL, Margolis E, Hoffman NG, Fredricks DN
- Clonal Expansion of Human Immunodeficiency Virus-Infected Cells and Human Immunodeficiency Virus Persistence During Antiretroviral Therapy.
The Journal of infectious diseases - Mar, 2017
Mullins JI, Frenkel LM