The following courses are the requirements and options available for students pursuing a degree in Microbiology from the University of Washington, Seattle Campus.
As of winter quarter 2023, we have updated the major requirements for the Bachelors of Science in Microbiology.
Students who have declared the major prior to winter 2023 will still be able to complete their current requirements, but can also opt to complete the new requirements offered.
Students who declared Autumn 2022 or PRIOR will complete the following requirements: MICROBIOLOGY DEGREE REQUIREMENTS AND ELECTIVES PACKET (Autumn 2022 and PRIOR)
Students who declare winter 2023 will complete the following requirements: MICROBIOLOGY DEGREE REQUIREMENTS AND ELECTIVES PACKET (WINTER 2023 AND BEYOND)
The links below will take you to the University of Washington course catalog for descriptions of the courses offered.
MICROM 402 General Microbiology Lab
MICROM 496 Library Research Paper
- IMMUN 441 Immunology
- MICROM 442 Medical Bacteriology
- MICROM 443 Medical Bacteriology Lab
- MICROM 460 Medical Mycology and Parasitology Lecture
- MICROM 461 Medical Mycology and Parasitology Lab **Please note you must be enrolled in the 460 lecture to take this lab**
- MICROM 445 Medical Virology
- MICROM 450 Molecular Biology of Viruses
- MICROM 412 Prokaryotic Diversity
- ENV H 409 Microbiome & Environmental Health
- MICROM 435 Microbiology of Earth and Human Systems
- MICROM 411 Bacterial Genetics. Includes lab
- MICROM 431 Prokaryotic Recombinant DNA Techniques Lab
Elective credits from the approved list to reach a total of 28 when the distribution areas are satisfied.
Please reach out to Josey Overfield: Microbiology Undergraduate Adviser, at email@example.com, to make an appointment or with any questions.