The University of Washington Department of Microbiology promotes and supports excellence and achievement in microbiology research and education in order to advance an understanding of the natural world, to improve human health, and to encourage the development of new technologies. The strength of our society and the creativity of the workforce of the 21st century depend upon the contributions of all persons. With this outlook, the department is committed to encourage diversity among our students, faculty, and staff. We strive to create a community that nurtures the talents of everyone, regardless of socioeconomic status, disability, race, religion, culture, gender, or sexual orientation.
We contribute to the institutional diversity efforts at the University of Washington by:
- recruiting and training students from diverse backgrounds and experiences,
- hiring and mentoring faculty and staff with broad perspectives and life experiences,
- valuing the contributions that diversity brings to our research and educational programs,
- and maintaining an accepting environment that respects and supports the diverse challenges experienced by each individual.
We welcome the efforts and insights of everyone in our community. Through our collaborative efforts, we encourage discovery and the development of new programs, collaborations, and innovative approaches to educate and inform an increasingly interconnected and complex world.
- Beth Traxler, PhD, Professor and Commitee Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joseph Mougous, PhD, Professor and member, email@example.com
- Michael Lagunoff, PhD, Professor and member, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deborah Fuller, PhD, Professor and member, email@example.com
- Joshua Woodward, PhD, Associate Professor and member, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monica Cesinger, Reniere Lab, Graduate Student and member, email@example.com
- Adebimpe Obadan, PhD, Fuller Lab, Senior Fellow, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Andrea Pardo, Staff and member, email@example.com
Campus community resources committed to diversity and inclusion
Note: *indicates funding support opportunities/available