The UW Department of Microbiology is proud to announce that our own Dr. Houra Merrikh has been named a 2018 National Academy of Sciences Kavli Fellow for her leadership and contributions to her field. She will present her work at a symposium, February 15-17, 2018 at UC Irvine.
The Department of Microbiology is proud to announce Brittany Ruhland (Reniere Lab) has been named the 2017 Neal Groman Award Winner, and Adelle McFarland (Woodward Lab) has been named the 2017 Helen Riaboff Whitely Fellowship Winner.
A new study describes how head-on collisions between protein machines on chromosomes can disrupt DNA replication and boost the rate of gene mutations that help bacteria survive hostile environments, resist antibiotics, and blunt attacks by immune defenses.
Host: Dr Galloway
Host: Dr Houra Merrikh
Host: Dr Woodward
Host: Dr Fang
- Expression level of human TLR4 rather than sequence is the key determinant of LPS responsiveness.
PloS one - , 2017
Hajjar AM, Ernst RK, Yi J, Yam CS, Miller SI
- Defensins in Viral Infection and Pathogenesis.
Annual review of virology - Sep, 2017
Holly MK, Diaz K, Smith JG
- Replication-Transcription Conflicts Generate R-Loops that Orchestrate Bacterial Stress Survival and Pathogenesis.
Cell - Aug, 2017
Lang KS, Hall AN, Merrikh CN, Ragheb M, Tabakh H, Pollock AJ, Woodward JJ, Dreifus JE, Merrikh H
- A broadly distributed toxin family mediates contact-dependent antagonism between gram-positive bacteria.
eLife - Jul, 2017
Whitney JC, Peterson SB, Kim J, Pazos M, Verster AJ, Radey MC, Kulasekara HD, Ching MQ, Bullen NP, Bryant D, Goo YA, Surette MG, Borenstein E, Vollmer W, Mougous JD
- Tuning DNA binding affinity and cleavage specificity of an engineered gene-targeting nuclease via surface display, flow cytometry and cellular analyses.
Protein engineering, design & selection : PEDS - Jul, 2017
Niyonzima N, Lambert AR, Werther R, De Silva Feelixge H, Roychoudhury P, Greninger AL, Stone D, Stoddard BL, Jerome KR