Getting a flu shot every year can be a pain. One UW Medicine researcher is hoping to make the yearly poke a thing of the past with the development of a universal vaccine that would protect from all strains of influenza virus, even as the viruses genetically shape-shift from year to year.
Eight University of Washington researchers are among the 396 new fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, announced this week. Election as a fellow of AAAS is an honor bestowed upon members by their peers. Fellows are recognized for meritorious efforts to advance science or its applications.
Nitrogen-fixing bacteria are the chief means by which nitrogen gas in the air is changed into a form that plants and animals can use. Roughly 10 percent of these nitrogen-fixing microorganisms contain the genetic code for manufacturing a back-up enzyme, called iron iron-only nitrogenase, to do their job.
Recent research reveals that this enzyme allows these microorganisms to convert nitrogen gas to ammonia and carbon dioxide into methane at the same time. The ammonia is the main product; the methane is only a sideline.
Host: Dr Jaisri Lingappa
Host: Micro Graduate Students
Host: Dr Jason Smith
- Myeloablation-associated deletion of ORF4 in a human coronavirus 229E infection.
NPJ genomic medicine - , 2017
Greninger AL, Pepper G, Shean RC, Cent A, Palileo I, Kuypers JM, Schiffer JT, Jerome KR
- DNA gyrase activity regulates DnaA-dependent replication initiation in Bacillus subtilis.
Molecular microbiology - Feb, 2018
Samadpour AN, Merrikh H
- Adaptation of commensal proliferatingto the intestinal tract of young children with cystic fibrosis.
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America - Feb, 2018
Matamouros S, Hayden HS, Hager KR, Brittnacher MJ, Lachance K, Weiss EJ, Pope CE, Imhaus AF, McNally CP, Borenstein E, Hoffman LR, Miller SI
- Antagonism of the protein kinase R pathway in human cells by rhesus cytomegalovirus.
Journal of virology - Dec, 2017
Child SJ, Hickson SE, Bayer A, Malouli D, Früh K, Geballe AP
- Probing structural variation and dynamics in the HIV-1 Env fusion glycoprotein.
Current HIV research - Dec, 2017
Munro JB, Lee KK