This article describes the recent FDA approval of the anti-TB agent pretomanid, and it’s use in a novel regimen that is saving lives of multiply-drug resistant (MDR) TB patients in South Africa. Department of Microbiology Professor and Chair David Sherman played a major role in the early stage development of pretomanid.
For the second year, Microbiology Professor Joseph Mougous, PhD, has been selected as a finalist for the Blavatnik National Award for Young Scientists in Life Sciences. Congratulations to Dr. Mougous for this prestigious recognition and honor. Learn more about the Blavatnik National Awards and the recognition of Dr. Mougous' work here.
With great sadness, I write to inform you of the sudden passing of Dr. James Champoux, professor and former chair of the UW School of Medicine Department of Microbiology. He died on Monday [May 13, 2019], a week after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, at the age of 76.
No upcoming events at this time
- The Cellular Microbiology of Salmonellae Interactions with Macrophages.
Cellular microbiology - Sep, 2019
Petersen E, Miller SI
- A Mutagenic Screen Identifies a TonB-Dependent Receptor Required for the Lanthanide Metal Switch in the Type I Methanotroph "Methylotuvimicrobium buryatense" 5GB1C.
Journal of bacteriology - Aug, 2019
Groom JD, Ford SM, Pesesky MW, Lidstrom ME
- Heterogeneity in surface sensing suggests a division of labor in populations.
eLife - Jun, 2019
Armbruster CR, Lee CK, Parker-Gilham J, de Anda J, Xia A, Zhao K, Murakami K, Tseng BS, Hoffman LR, Jin F, Harwood CS, Wong GC, Parsek MR
- Salmonella Translocated Effectors Recruit OSBP1 to the Phagosome to Promote Vacuolar Membrane Integrity.
Cell reports - May, 2019
Kolodziejek AM, Altura MA, Fan J, Petersen EM, Cook M, Brzovic PS, Miller SI
- The Pseudomonas aeruginosa lectin LecB binds to the exopolysaccharide Psl and stabilizes the biofilm matrix.
Nature communications - 05, 2019
Passos da Silva D, Matwichuk ML, Townsend DO, Reichhardt C, Lamba D, Wozniak DJ, Parsek MR