The University of Washington Microbiology Department achieved a high ranking by U.S. News and World Report again this year as one of the "Best Global Universities for Microbiology"! View this year's rankings here.
Professor Carrie Harwood and colleagues have engineered a bacterium that can take carbon dioxide from the air and turn it into fuel in a single enzymatic step. The process draws on sunlight to produce methane and hydrogen inside the bacterium Rhodopseudomonas palustris, in essence reversing combustion. These engineered bacteria could guide scientists toward better carbon-neutral biofuels. Read more about the research here.
Eleven undergraduate students were honored with various awards on June 2 during the department's annual celebration for graduating seniors and for current students demonstrating outstanding achievement.
Host: Dr Nina Salama
- A study of vaccine-induced immune pressure on breakthrough infections in the Phambili phase 2b HIV-1 vaccine efficacy trial.
Vaccine - Nov, 2016
Hertz T, Logan MG, Rolland M, Magaret CA, Rademeyer C, Fiore-Gartland A, Edlefsen PT, DeCamp A, Ahmed H, Ngandu N, Larsen BB, Frahm N, Marais J, Thebus R, Geraghty D, Hural J, Corey L, Kublin J, Gray G, McElrath MJ, Mullins JI, Gilbert PB, Williamson C
- The CF gastrointestinal microbiome: Structure and clinical impact.
Pediatric pulmonology - Oct, 2016
Rogers GB, Narkewicz MR, Hoffman LR
- DNA Prime-Boost Vaccine Regimen To Increase Breadth, Magnitude, and Cytotoxicity of the Cellular Immune Responses to Subdominant Gag Epitopes of Simian Immunodeficiency Virus and HIV.
Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950) - Oct, 2016
Hu X, Valentin A, Dayton F, Kulkarni V, Alicea C, Rosati M, Chowdhury B, Gautam R, Broderick KE, Sardesai NY, Martin MA, Mullins JI, Pavlakis GN, Felber BK
- A Single Amino Acid Dictates Protein Kinase R Susceptibility to Unrelated Viral Antagonists.
PLoS pathogens - Oct, 2016
Carpentier KS, Esparo NM, Child SJ, Geballe AP
- Antibiotic Resistance and Regulation of the Gram-Negative Bacterial Outer Membrane Barrier by Host Innate Immune Molecules.
mBio - Sep, 2016