Microbiology Professor Evgeni Sokurenko's Seattle biotech startup, ID Genomics, is developing a solution to that conundrum: a system that tests the biological “fingerprint” of a bacteria and connects it to a huge database to determine what bacteria it is, and what the best treatment is. Click here to read the full article.
UW Micro has done well on yet another international ranking of Microbiology programs, with the Center for World University Rankings listing our department as the third best in the world behind Harvard and John Hopkins. See the list here.
Professor Carrie Harwood and colleagues have engineered a bacterium that can take carbon dioxide from the air and turn it into fuel in a single enzymatic step. The process draws on sunlight to produce methane and hydrogen inside the bacterium Rhodopseudomonas palustris, in essence reversing combustion. These engineered bacteria could guide scientists toward better carbon-neutral biofuels. Read more about the research here.
- HIV Env Conserved Element DNA Vaccine Alters Immunodominance in Macaques.
Human vaccines & immunotherapeutics - Jul, 2017
Hu X, Valentin A, Rosati M, Manocheewa S, Alicea C, Chowdhury B, Bear J, Broderick KE, Sardesai NY, Le Gall S, Mullins JI, Pavlakis GN, Felber BK
- Efficacy of oral pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for HIV among women with abnormal vaginal microbiota: a post-hoc analysis of the randomised, placebo-controlled Partners PrEP Study.
The lancet. HIV - Jul, 2017
Heffron R, McClelland RS, Balkus JE, Celum C, Cohen CR, Mugo N, Bukusi E, Donnell D, Lingappa J, Kiarie J, Fiedler T, Munch M, Fredricks DN, Baeten JM,
- A broadly distributed toxin family mediates contact-dependent antagonism between gram-positive bacteria.
eLife - Jul, 2017
Whitney JC, Peterson SB, Kim J, Pazos M, Verster AJ, Radey MC, Kulasekara HD, Ching MQ, Bullen NP, Bryant D, Goo YA, Surette MG, Borenstein E, Vollmer W, Mougous JD
- Defensins in Viral Infection and Pathogenesis.
Annual review of virology - Jul, 2017
Holly MK, Diaz K, Smith JG
- Vaginal microbiota and genitourinary menopausal symptoms: a cross-sectional analysis.
Menopause (New York, N.Y.) - Jun, 2017
Mitchell CM, Srinivasan S, Zhan X, Wu MC, Reed SD, Guthrie KA, LaCroix AZ, Fiedler T, Munch M, Liu C, Hoffman NG, Blair IA, Newton K, Freeman EW, Joffe H, Cohen L, Fredricks DN