Applications are invited for a 12-month full time Lecturer position in the Department of Microbiology. This is a non-tenure track appointment with the expectation of renewable 3-5 year terms. An M.S. or Ph.D. degree in the biological sciences is required, and preference will be given to applicants with teaching experience in microbiology lecture and laboratory courses. Please see the University of Washington Academic HR site for more information. https://ap.washington.edu/ahr/academic-jobs/position/aa25086/
A new study describes how head-on collisions between protein machines on chromosomes can disrupt DNA replication and boost the rate of gene mutations that help bacteria survive hostile environments, resist antibiotics, and blunt attacks by immune defenses.
Microbiology Professor Evgeni Sokurenko's Seattle biotech startup, ID Genomics, is developing a solution to that conundrum: a system that tests the biological “fingerprint” of a bacteria and connects it to a huge database to determine what bacteria it is, and what the best treatment is. Click here to read the full article.
Host: Dr Reniere
Host: Dr Miller
Host: Dr Galloway
Host: Dr Fang
- Replication-Transcription Conflicts Generate R-Loops that Orchestrate Bacterial Stress Survival and Pathogenesis.
Cell - Aug, 2017
Lang KS, Hall AN, Merrikh CN, Ragheb M, Tabakh H, Pollock AJ, Woodward JJ, Dreifus JE, Merrikh H
- A broadly distributed toxin family mediates contact-dependent antagonism between gram-positive bacteria.
eLife - Jul, 2017
Whitney JC, Peterson SB, Kim J, Pazos M, Verster AJ, Radey MC, Kulasekara HD, Ching MQ, Bullen NP, Bryant D, Goo YA, Surette MG, Borenstein E, Vollmer W, Mougous JD
- Defensins in Viral Infection and Pathogenesis.
Annual review of virology - Jul, 2017
Holly MK, Diaz K, Smith JG
- Tuning DNA binding affinity and cleavage specificity of an engineered gene-targeting nuclease via surface display, flow cytometry and cellular analyses.
Protein engineering, design & selection : PEDS - Jul, 2017
Niyonzima N, Lambert AR, Werther R, De Silva Feelixge H, Roychoudhury P, Greninger AL, Stone D, Stoddard BL, Jerome KR
- Alpha-defensin-dependent enhancement of enteric viral infection.
PLoS pathogens - Jun, 2017
Wilson SS, Bromme BA, Holly MK, Wiens ME, Gounder AP, Sul Y, Smith JG