For a summary of department information and requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Microbiology, please refer to the PDF available here
Core Courses (8 Credits):
- Fundamentals of Microbiology (3 credits, Fall)
- General Microbiology Lab (3 credits, Fall & Spr)
- Library Research Paper (2 credits, all qtrs.)
Faculty mentor required for MICROM 496 Library Research Paper. Review our website to find faculty whose research interests matches yours http://depts.washington.edu/micro/. Contact faculty directly, and when a faculty member agrees, please contact Andrea Pardo for the add code. It is best to make arrangements well in advance of the quarter you plan to register.
- Total of 28 credits
- Choose one course from each of the four distribution groups (Medical Microbiology, Virology, Diversity and Ecology, Genetics and Molecular Biology)
- Two courses must contain a laboratory component (461, 411, 431, 443 are lab choices in this area)
- Immunology (4 credits, Fall)
- Medical Bacteriology (3 credits, Win)
- Medical Bacteriology Lab (3 credits, Fall & Win)
- Medical Mycology and Parasitology Lecture (3 credits, Spr) 460
Microm 461 Medical Mycology and Parasitology Lab (2 credits, Spr)
Diversity and Ecology:
- Prokaryotic Diversity (3 credits, Spr)
- ENV H 409 Microbiome & Environmental Health (3 credits, Spr)
- Microm 435 Microbiology of Earth and Human Systems (3 Credits, Aut)
Genetics and Molecular Biology:
- Bacterial Genetics. Includes lab (4 credits, Win)
- Prokaryotic Recombinant DNA Techniques Lab (3 credits, Win), *
* If you choose to take Prokaryotic Recombinant DNA Techniques Lab (3 credits, Win) you must ALSO take either Fundamentals of Genetics & Genomics (3 credits) or Introductory Genetics (5 credits, Fall).
Elective credits from the approved list to reach a total of 28 when the distribution areas are satisfied.