The following courses are the requirements and options available for students pursuing a degree in Microbiology from the University of Washington, Seattle Campus. For a comprehensive list of requirements and electives, download our course requirements here.
MICROBIOLOGY DEGREE REQUIREMENTS AND ELECTIVES PACKET (updated SPR 2022)
Core Courses (8 Credits):
- Total of 28 credits
- Choose one course from each of the four distribution groups (Medical Microbiology, Virology, Diversity and Ecology, Genetics and Molecular Biology)
- Two courses must contain a laboratory component (411, 431, 443 & 461 are lab choices in this area)
- Immunology (4 credits, Fall)
- Medical Bacteriology (3 credits, Win)
- Medical Bacteriology Lab (3 credits, Fall & Win)
- Medical Mycology and Parasitology Lecture (3 credits, Spr) 460
- MICROM 461 Medical Mycology and Parasitology Lab (2 credits, Spr)***Please note you must be enrolled in 460 to take 461 lab***
- Medical Virology (3 credits, Spr)
- MICROM 450 Molecular Biology of Viruses (3 credits, Win) ***to be offered Winter 2022***
Diversity and Ecology:
- Prokaryotic Diversity (3 credits, Spr)
- ENV H 409 Microbiome & Environmental Health (3 credits, Spr)
- MICROM 435 Microbiology of Earth and Human Systems (3 Credits, Aut)
Genetics and Molecular Biology:
- Bacterial Genetics. Includes lab (4 credits, Win)
- Prokaryotic Recombinant DNA Techniques Lab (3 credits, Win), *
* If you choose to take Prokaryotic Recombinant DNA Techniques Lab (3 credits, Win) you must ALSO take either Fundamentals of Genetics & Genomics (3 credits) or Introductory Genetics (5 credits, Fall).
(One course is required)
Elective credits from the approved list to reach a total of 28 when the distribution areas are satisfied.