The University of Washington Population Health Initiative announced the award of approximately $350,000 in COVID-19 rapid response grants to 21 different faculty-led teams. These teams are composed of individuals representing 10 different schools and colleges. Funding was partially matched by additional school, college and departmental funds, bringing the total value of these awards to roughly $820,000.
Monica Cesinger and Brittany Ruhland (both graduate students in the Reniere Lab) have first author papers accepted recently and will be published in the next few weeks. Brittany also had her painting accepted to be on the cover of the journal! According to Dr Reniere, "The watercolor painting by Brittany R. Ruhland represents the interaction between Spx (teal, left) and YjbH (pink, right). We found that the Listeria monocytogenes YjbH protein physically interacts with SpxA1. This watercolor will appear on the cover of the Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 202, no. 12."
Three undergraduate students at the University of Washington are among 396 around the country who have been named Goldwater Scholars for 2020.
The Goldwater Scholarship Program supports undergraduates who “show exceptional promise of becoming this nation’s next generation of research leaders” in science, technology, engineering and mathematics. The scholarships go toward tuition, room and board, fees and books up to $7,500 annually for one or two years.
Host: Dr David Sherman
Host: Dr Deb Fuller
Host: Dr Beth Traxler
- Changes in SARS-CoV-2 Positivity Rate in Outpatients in Seattle and Washington State, March 1-April 16, 2020.
JAMA - May, 2020
Randhawa AK, Fisher LH, Greninger AL, Li SS, Andriesen J, Corey L, Jerome KR
- Cyclic dinucleotides at the forefront of innate immunity.
Current opinion in cell biology - Apr, 2020
Zaver SA, Woodward JJ
- New Biophysical Approaches Reveal the Dynamics and Mechanics of Type I Viral Fusion Machinery and Their Interplay with Membranes.
Viruses - Apr, 2020
Benhaim MA, Lee KK
- infection of murine and human enteroid-derived monolayers elicits differential activation of epithelial-intrinsic inflammasomes.
Infection and immunity - Apr, 2020
Holly MK, Han X, Zhao EJ, Crowley SM, Allaire JM, Knodler LA, Vallance BA, Smith JG
- Structure of an Inner Membrane Protein Required for PhoPQ-Regulated Increases in Outer Membrane Cardiolipin.
mBio - 02, 2020
Fan J, Petersen EM, Hinds TR, Zheng N, Miller SI