Sean C Murphy, MD/PhD
Dr. Murphy's work focuses on human malaria infection. Human and animals can be protected against malaria sporozoites challenge by immunization with attenuated Plasmodium sporozoites. The protective responses induced by these immunizations remain largely unknown because it is extremely difficult to simultaneously monitor responses against hundreds of potential antigens. In collaboration with local and international collaborators, Dr. Murphy studies this complex poly-specific T cell repertoire induced by Plasmodium sporozoites using mouse models of malaria infection and novel high-throughput T cell screening technologies.
A major goal of this work is to identify protective antigens in mice, validate the orthologous antigens in human subjects and develop multi-component subunit vaccines that target the pre-erythrocytic stage of malaria infection. Such vaccines could accelerate the development of effective vaccines for the eradication of malaria. The development of high-throughput tools for T cell antigen discovery would also have broad implications for other infectious and autoimmune diseases and our group is exploring several such possibilities. Dr. Murphy also directs a clinical pathology group devoted to molecular diagnosis of malaria infections. This work supports malaria human challenge trials and allows for detection of malaria parasites in human blood up to 3-4 days earlier than by conventional blood smears.
Recent Publications from PubMed
- Performance of a High-Sensitivity Rapid Diagnostic Test for Plasmodium falciparum Malaria in Asymptomatic Individuals from Uganda and Myanmar and Naive Human Challenge Infections.Das S, Jang IK, Barney B, Peck R, Rek JC, Arinaitwe E, Adrama H, Murphy M, Imwong M, Ling CL, Proux S, Haohankhunnatham W, Rist M, Seilie AM, Hanron A, Daza G, Chang M, Nakamura T, Kalnoky M, Labarre P, Murphy SC, McCarthy JS, Nosten F, Greenhouse B, Allauzen S, Domingo GJThe American journal of tropical medicine and hygiene. 2017 Nov; 97 5: 1540-1550
- Multiplex, DNase-free one-step reverse transcription PCR for Plasmodium 18S rRNA and spliced gametocyte-specific mRNAs.Hanron AE, Billman ZP, Seilie AM, Olsen TM, Fishbaugher M, Chang M, Rueckle T, Andenmatten N, Greenhouse B, Arinaitwe E, Rek J, Das S, Domingo GJ, Shipman K, Kappe SH, Kublin JG, Murphy SCMalaria journal. 2017 May; 16 1: 208
- Dejonckheere E, Bastian B, Fried EI, Murphy SC, Kuppens PDepression and anxiety. 2017 Sep; 34 9: 836-844
- Rapid prediction of particulate, humus and resistant fractions of soil organic carbon in reforested lands using infrared spectroscopy.Madhavan DB, Baldock JA, Read ZJ, Murphy SC, Cunningham SC, Perring MP, Herrmann T, Lewis T, Cavagnaro TR, England JR, Paul KI, Weston CJ, Baker TGJournal of environmental management. 2017 May; 193 : 290-299
- A Preregistered Study of Competing Predictions Suggests That Men Do Overestimate Women's Sexual Intent.Murray DR, Murphy SC, von Hippel W, Trivers R, Haselton MGPsychological science. 2017 Feb; 28 2: 253-255