Current research projects are on Group B Streptococcus are focused toward understanding how the pathogen migrates through different host niches during infections. These include identifying the environmental cues/signals that are sensed by the pathogen for regulation of toxins and other virulence factors. Our studies on S. aureusare focused on elucidating on factors that regulate antibiotic resistance and virulence of the pathogen. We are also investigating how mutations in host signaling pathways affect disease susceptibility to S. aureus. This is particularly relevant as patients with genetic disorders such as Jobs syndrome and chronic granulomatous disease (CGD) are prone to recurrent and life-threatening infections due to S. aureus.
Recent Publications from PubMed
- Parallel detection of lactobacillus and bacterial vaginosis-associated bacterial DNA in the chorioamnion and vagina of pregnant women at term.Lannon SMR, Adams Waldorf KM, Fiedler T, Kapur RP, Agnew K, Rajagopal L, Gravett MG, Fredricks DNThe journal of maternal-fetal & neonatal medicine : the official journal of the European Association of Perinatal Medicine, the Federation of Asia and Oceania Perinatal Societies, the International Society of Perinatal Obstetricians. 2018 Mar; : 1-9
- Evidence of cardiac involvement in the fetal inflammatory response syndrome: disruption of gene networks programming cardiac development in nonhuman primates.Mitchell T, MacDonald JW, Srinouanpranchanh S, Bammler TK, Merillat S, Boldenow E, Coleman M, Agnew K, Baldessari A, Stencel-Baerenwald JE, Tisoncik-Go J, Green RR, Gale MJ, Rajagopal L, Adams Waldorf KMAmerican journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 2018 Feb; :
- Human cervical mucus plugs exhibit insufficiencies in antimicrobial activity towards Group B Streptococcus.Vornhagen J, Quach P, Santana-Ufret V, Alishetti V, Brokaw A, Armistead B, Qing Tang H, MacDonald JW, Bammler TK, Adams Waldorf KM, Uldbjerg N, Rajagopal LThe Journal of infectious diseases. 2018 Feb; :
- Congenital Zika virus infection as a silent pathology with loss of neurogenic output in the fetal brain.Adams Waldorf KM, Nelson BR, Stencel-Baerenwald JE, Studholme C, Kapur RP, Armistead B, Walker CL, Merillat S, Vornhagen J, Tisoncik-Go J, Baldessari A, Coleman M, Dighe MK, Shaw DWW, Roby JA, Santana-Ufret V, Boldenow E, Li J, Gao X, Davis MA, Swanstrom JA, Jensen K, Widman DG, Baric RS, Medwid JT, Hanley KA, Ogle J, Gough GM, Lee W, English C, Durning WM, Thiel J, Gatenby C, Dewey EC, Fairgrieve MR, Hodge RD, Grant RF, Kuller L, Dobyns WB, Hevner RF, Gale M, Rajagopal LNature medicine. 2018 Mar; 24 3: 368-374
- Diminished Capsule Exacerbates Virulence, Blood-Brain Barrier Penetration, Intracellular Persistence, and Antibiotic Evasion of Hyperhemolytic Group B Streptococci.Gendrin C, Merillat S, Vornhagen J, Coleman M, Armistead B, Ngo L, Aggarwal A, Quach P, Berrigan J, Rajagopal LThe Journal of infectious diseases. 2018 Mar; 217 7: 1128-1138