King K. Holmes
Dr. Holmes chairs the Department of Global Health, is the Director of the University of Washington Center for AIDS and STDs (a WHO Collaborating Center), and Principle Investigator for the NIH-funded UW/FHCRC Center for AIDS Research, which has over 550 members, including faculty, research scientists, and pre- and post-doctoral fellows. He is also PI for the UW International Training and Education Center on Health (I-TECH), with HIV-related programs in 20 countries throughout the world.
Dr. Holmes has participated in research on STIs for 45 years and in research, training, and technical assistance on HIV/AIDS and other STIs in Africa, Latin America, SE Asia, and the Western Pacific for over 25 years. He has participated in the design and conduct of 40 randomized controlled trials of STI treatment and prevention. His research has addressed the clinical epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of bacterial, viral, and other STIs and STI-related clinical syndromes. He has trained and/or mentored over 100 scientists involved in HIV/STI research and care in the U.S. and other countries throughout the world. Dr. Holmes was a winner of the 2013 Canada Gairdner Global Health Award for his global scientific contributions to the field of sexually transmitted diseases and their effective treatment and prevention.
Recent Publications from PubMed
- Universal health coverage and intersectoral action for health: key messages from Disease Control Priorities, 3rd edition.Jamison DT, Alwan A, Mock CN, Nugent R, Watkins D, Adeyi O, Anand S, Atun R, Bertozzi S, Bhutta Z, Binagwaho A, Black R, Blecher M, Bloom BR, Brouwer E, Bundy DAP, Chisholm D, Cieza A, Cullen M, Danforth K, de Silva N, Debas HT, Donkor P, Dua T, Fleming KA, Gallivan M, Garcia PJ, Gawande A, Gaziano T, Gelband H, Glass R, Glassman A, Gray G, Habte D, Holmes KK, Horton S, Hutton G, Jha P, Knaul FM, Kobusingye O, Krakauer EL, Kruk ME, Lachmann P, Laxminarayan R, Levin C, Looi LM, Madhav N, Mahmoud A, Mbanya JC, Measham A, Medina-Mora ME, Medlin C, Mills A, Mills JA, Montoya J, Norheim O, Olson Z, Omokhodion F, Oppenheim B, Ord T, Patel V, Patton GC, Peabody J, Prabhakaran D, Qi J, Reynolds T, Ruacan S, Sankaranarayanan R, Sepúlveda J, Skolnik R, Smith KR, Temmerman M, Tollman S, Verguet S, Walker DG, Walker N, Wu Y, Zhao KLancet (London, England). 2017 Nov; :
- Increases in Neisseria gonorrhoeae with Reduced Susceptibility to Azithromycin among Men who have sex with Men (MSM), in Seattle, King County, Washington: 2012 - 2016.Barbee LA, Soge OO, Katz DA, Dombrowski JC, Holmes KK, Golden MRClinical infectious diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. 2017 Oct; :
- A national evaluation using standardised patient actors to assess STI services in public sector clinical sentinel surveillance facilities in South Africa.Kohler PK, Marumo E, Jed SL, Mema G, Galagan S, Tapia K, Pillay E, DeKadt J, Naidoo E, Dombrowski JC, Holmes KKSexually transmitted infections. 2017 Jun; 93 4: 247-252
- Systems Mapping of Sexually Transmitted Infection Services at Three Clinical Sentinel Surveillance Sites in South Africa: Opportunities for Integrated Care.McConnico C, Jed SL, Marumo E, Mazibuko S, Mema GM, DeKadt J, Holmes KK, Kohler PKThe Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care : JANAC. ; 28 1: 154-164
- Neisseria gonorrhoeae Antimicrobial Susceptibility Surveillance - The Gonococcal Isolate Surveillance Project, 27 Sites, United States, 2014.Kirkcaldy RD, Harvey A, Papp JR, Del Rio C, Soge OO, Holmes KK, Hook EW, Kubin G, Riedel S, Zenilman J, Pettus K, Sanders T, Sharpe S, Torrone EMorbidity and mortality weekly report. Surveillance summaries (Washington, D.C. : 2002). 2016 07; 65 7: 1-19