David N. Fredricks
1. The Human Microbiome: What factors determine the constituents of the human genital tract, and how do microbial communities on mucosal surfaces impact health? We use molecular and cultivation approaches to study the ecology of human microbial communities with a focus on the common but poorly understood condition bacterial vaginosis (BV). BV is the most common cause of vaginal discharge and is associated with numerous adverse health outcomes such as HIV infection and preterm birth. Why do some women develop BV, and why are relapse rates high after antibiotic therapy? Our projects span the scale from studies of individual bacterial species interacting with cultured vaginal epithelial cells in the lab, to population studies of women and their partners exploring shifts in microbial communities in response to host physiology or behaviors.
2. Pathogen Discovery: Many microbes have not been successfully cultivated in the laboratory, and therefore molecular cultivation-independent methods are needed to detect them. We develop and deploy nucleic acid sequence-based methods for discovering novel pathogens linked to human disease. We have discovered several novel bacterial species linked with the condition bacterial vaginosis using this molecular approach. We are searching for novel pathogens in several idiopathic human diseases.
3. Molecular Diagnostics: We seek to improve the detection of known human pathogens by developing sensitive and specific diagnostic tests. These assays rely on the detection of microbial nucleic acid sequences in human tissues or body fluids. Our main focus is the use of PCR for the diagnosis of fungal infections in cancer patients, but we also develop assays for detecting other pathogen groups such as bacteria and viruses.
Recent Publications from PubMed
- Butyrogenic bacteria after acute graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) are associated with the development of steroid-refractory GVHD.Golob JL, DeMeules MM, Loeffelholz T, Quinn ZZ, Dame MK, Silvestri SS, Wu MC, Schmidt TM, Fiedler TL, Hoostal MJ, Mielcarek M, Spence J, Pergam SA, Fredricks DNBlood advances. 2019 Oct; 3 19: 2866-2869
- Munch MM, Chambers LC, Manhart LE, Domogala D, Lopez A, Fredricks DN, Srinivasan SPloS one. 2019 ; 14 9: e0222962
- Resolution of Symptoms and Resumption of Sex After Diagnosis of Nongonococcal Urethritis Among Men Who Have Sex With Men.Chambers LC, Hughes JP, Glick SN, Morgan JL, Lowens MS, Robinson TS, Romano SS, Leipertz GL, Jensen JS, Khosropour CM, Fredricks DN, Golden MR, Manhart LESexually transmitted diseases. 2019 Oct; 46 10: 676-682
- Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate intravaginal ring for HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis in sexually active women: a phase 1, single-blind, randomised, controlled trial.Keller MJ, Wood L, Billingsley JM, Ray LL, Goymer J, Sinclair S, McGinn AP, Marzinke MA, Frank B, Srinivasan S, Liu C, Atrio JM, Espinoza L, Mugo N, Spiegel HML, Anderson PL, Fredricks DN, Hendrix CW, Marrazzo J, Bosinger SE, Herold BCThe lancet. HIV. 2019 Aug; 6 8: e498-e508
- Specific Vaginal Bacteria Are Associated With an Increased Risk of Trichomonas vaginalis Acquisition in Women.Jarrett OD, Srinivasan S, Richardson BA, Fiedler T, Wallis JM, Kinuthia J, Jaoko W, Mandaliya K, Fredricks DN, McClelland RSThe Journal of infectious diseases. 2019 Sep; 220 9: 1503-1510