David N. Fredricks
1. The Human Microbiome: What factors determine the constituents of the human genital tract, and how do microbial communities on mucosal surfaces impact health? We use molecular and cultivation approaches to study the ecology of human microbial communities with a focus on the common but poorly understood condition bacterial vaginosis (BV). BV is the most common cause of vaginal discharge and is associated with numerous adverse health outcomes such as HIV infection and preterm birth. Why do some women develop BV, and why are relapse rates high after antibiotic therapy? Our projects span the scale from studies of individual bacterial species interacting with cultured vaginal epithelial cells in the lab, to population studies of women and their partners exploring shifts in microbial communities in response to host physiology or behaviors.
2. Pathogen Discovery: Many microbes have not been successfully cultivated in the laboratory, and therefore molecular cultivation-independent methods are needed to detect them. We develop and deploy nucleic acid sequence-based methods for discovering novel pathogens linked to human disease. We have discovered several novel bacterial species linked with the condition bacterial vaginosis using this molecular approach. We are searching for novel pathogens in several idiopathic human diseases.
3. Molecular Diagnostics: We seek to improve the detection of known human pathogens by developing sensitive and specific diagnostic tests. These assays rely on the detection of microbial nucleic acid sequences in human tissues or body fluids. Our main focus is the use of PCR for the diagnosis of fungal infections in cancer patients, but we also develop assays for detecting other pathogen groups such as bacteria and viruses.
Recent Publications from PubMed
- Seasonal clustering of sinopulmonary mucormycosis in patients with hematologic malignancies at a large comprehensive cancer center.Sivagnanam S, Sengupta DJ, Hoogestraat D, Jain R, Stednick Z, Fredricks DN, Hendrie P, Whimbey E, Podczervinski ST, Krantz EM, Duchin JS, Pergam SAAntimicrobial resistance and infection control. 2017 ; 6 : 123
- Associations between improvement in genitourinary symptoms of menopause and changes in the vaginal ecosystem.Mitchell CM, Srinivasan S, Plantinga A, Wu MC, Reed SD, Guthrie KA, LaCroix AZ, Fiedler T, Munch M, Liu C, Hoffman NG, Blair IA, Newton K, Freeman EW, Joffe H, Cohen L, Fredricks DNMenopause (New York, N.Y.). 2017 Dec; :
- Graft-Derived Reconstitution of Mucosal-Associated Invariant T Cells after Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation.Bhattacharyya A, Hanafi LA, Sheih A, Golob JL, Srinivasan S, Boeckh MJ, Pergam SA, Mahmood S, Baker KK, Gooley TA, Milano F, Fredricks DN, Riddell SR, Turtle CJBiology of blood and marrow transplantation : journal of the American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 2018 Feb; 24 2: 242-251
- Stool Microbiota at Neutrophil Recovery Is Predictive for Severe Acute Graft vs Host Disease After Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation.Golob JL, Pergam SA, Srinivasan S, Fiedler TL, Liu C, Garcia K, Mielcarek M, Ko D, Aker S, Marquis S, Loeffelholz T, Plantinga A, Wu MC, Celustka K, Morrison A, Woodfield M, Fredricks DNClinical infectious diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. 2017 Nov; 65 12: 1984-1991
- Viruses Associated With Unexplained Acute Liver Failure: Next Generation Reveals the Last Generation.Fredricks DNClinical infectious diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. 2017 Oct; 65 9: 1486-1488