Post-Graduation Opportunites

Because of the importance of microorganisms to humans and science, microbiologists are needed in a variety of private concerns and governmental agencies. Microbiology students who would like to further their education may wish to apply for advanced degree work in a professional school or in graduate school.

The Center for Career Services, Room 134, Mary Gates Hall, offers workshops on resume writing, writing cover letters, interviewing techniques, and job search strategies. It is also wise to contact individual companies of interest in advance of your graduation. Fee-for-service private employment placement companies are an additional resource.


The major industrial and research concerns employing microbiologists in the Seattle area are biotechnology companies, food processing industries (including dairies and fish processors), private biological and chemical laboratories, and hospitals. Nationally, microbiologists are employed by pharmaceutical and drug companies, breweries, cheese manufacturers, canneries, and medical laboratories.

The State of Washington employs microbiologists in the Washington State Department of Health and the Department of Ecology. Career information and job openings are available at the following websites: and

State educational institutions employ microbiologists as research technologists (these positions are funded largely by federal grant and contract monies) or as clinical technologists in university hospitals. For information on these positions contact the personnel office of each institution. The University of Washington's employment website:

Graduate and Professional Programs

There are many graduate programs and schools offering advanced training programs in microbiology, immunology, biochemistry, genetics, and/or molecular biology that are attractive to many students. Students should write directly to the schools or departments of interest for information and application deadlines and consult their advisor and other faculty for additional information about graduate school. The Peterson's Guide to Graduate Programs can be helpful. Please see their website at the following address:

Most universities require that students take the Graduate Record Examination early enough to permit sufficient time for the scores to be available at the time the student is evaluated. For example, we recommend that applicants take the GRE by October to meet our December application deadline. Visit GRE online at for more information. GRE information packets are available through the Educational Assessment Center, 440 Schmitz Hall, (206) 543-1170.

Students may continue their education by pursuing a health professional career (medicine, dentistry, public health and community medicine, or veterinary medicine). Most programs require an entrance exam (MCAT, DAT, PCAT). Students should contact the schools directly to obtain the most recent admission information and course requirements.