The following courses are the requirements and options available for students pursuing a degree in Microbiology from the University of Washington, Seattle Campus.
As of winter quarter 2023, we have updated the major requirements for the Bachelors of Science in Microbiology.
Students who have declared the major prior to winter 2023 will still be able to complete their current requirements, but can also opt to complete the new requirements offered.
Students who declared Autumn 2022 or PRIOR will complete the following requirements: MICROBIOLOGY DEGREE REQUIREMENTS AND ELECTIVES PACKET (Autumn 2022 and PRIOR)
Students who declare winter 2023 will complete the following requirements: MICROBIOLOGY DEGREE REQUIREMENTS AND ELECTIVES PACKET (WINTER 2023 AND BEYOND)
The links below will take you to the University of Washington course catalog for descriptions of the courses offered.
- Medical Bacteriology
- Medical Bacteriology Lab
- Medical Mycology and Parasitology Lecture 460
- MICROM 461 Medical Mycology and Parasitology Lab **Please note you must be enrolled in the 460 lecture to take this lab**
- Medical Virology
- MICROM 450 Molecular Biology of Viruses
- Prokaryotic Diversity
- ENV H 409 Microbiome & Environmental Health
- MICROM 435 Microbiology of Earth and Human Systems
- Bacterial Genetics. Includes lab
- Prokaryotic Recombinant DNA Techniques Lab
Elective credits from the approved list to reach a total of 28 when the distribution areas are satisfied.