For a summary of department information and requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Microbiology, please refer to the PDF available here
- Fundamentals of Microbiology (3 credits, Fall)
- General Microbiology Lab (3 credits, Fall & Spr)
- Library Research Paper (2 credits, all qtrs.)
Faculty mentor required for MICROM 496 Library Research Paper. Review our website to find faculty whose research interests matches yours http://depts.washington.edu/micro/. Contact faculty directly, and when a faculty member agrees, please contact Andrea Pardo for the add code. It is best to make arrangements well in advance of the quarter you plan to register.
- Total of 15 credits from the following distribution groups (Medical Microbiology, Virology, Diversity and Ecology, Genetics and Molecular Biology)
- Choose one course from each of the four distribution groups
- Two courses must contain a laboratory component
- Immunology (4 credits, Fall)
- Medical Bacteriology (3 credits, Win)
- Medical Bacteriology Lab (3 credits, Fall & Win)
- Medical Mycology and Parasitology Lecture (3 credits, Spr) 460
Microm 461 Medical Mycology and Parasitology Lab (2 credits, Spr)
Diversity and Ecology:
Genetics and Molecular Biology:
- Bacterial Genetics. Includes lab (4 credits, Win)
- Prokaryotic Recombinant DNA Techniques Lab (3 credits, Win), *
* If you choose to take Prokaryotic Recombinant DNA Techniques Lab (3 credits, Win) you must ALSO take either Fundamentals of Genetics & Genomics (3 credits) or Introductory Genetics (5 credits, Fall).
In addition to the distribution course requirements, students must take at least 13 credits from our list of approved electives. Approved electives include any of the courses not taken as a distribution course, plus additional courses offered by the Microbiology Department or other departments (see list of microbiology approved electives).